Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Comebacks 08:43 - Mar 9 with 3846 viewsBlueRaider

The Barca match got me thinking of great comebacks involving Town, on the plus side I remember being at Barnsley in 96, 3-0 down with 5 minutes to go and getting a 3-3 draw, at the other end was Oxford away in 86, 3-0 up and lost 4-3.

Anyone think of any more ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Comebacks on 08:46 - Mar 9 with 2933 viewsIpswichKnight

Remember being 3-0 down to Sheff Utd in the cup only for Darren Bent to score a hatrick to bring it back to 3-3 for us then to concede late on and lose 4-3
Comebacks on 09:00 - Mar 9 with 2902 viewsGeoffSentence

Comebacks on 08:46 - Mar 9 by IpswichKnight

Remember being 3-0 down to Sheff Utd in the cup only for Darren Bent to score a hatrick to bring it back to 3-3 for us then to concede late on and lose 4-3

2003 Two down to Sheffield UNited with Counago having been sent off, despite this we went on to win 3-2

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Comebacks on 09:03 - Mar 9 with 2891 viewstaximan

Comebacks on 09:00 - Mar 9 by GeoffSentence

2003 Two down to Sheffield UNited with Counago having been sent off, despite this we went on to win 3-2

this was the one, what an afternoon

so far removed from the current state of affairs

the most moving tribute to dale roberts, followed by a game that had everything

twtd
Comebacks on 09:14 - Mar 9 with 2873 viewsBasuco

Comebacks on 09:03 - Mar 9 by taximan

this was the one, what an afternoon

so far removed from the current state of affairs

the most moving tribute to dale roberts, followed by a game that had everything

twtd

The bit I remember about the game was with a few minutes to go, down to ten men, and the score 2 - 2, Sheffield corner and BFJ put three men on the halfway line, one on the each touchline and one in the center. NW was going bonkers to get players back to mark them. It was simple catching practice to catch the ball from the corner even for Andy Marshall. Fantastic day.
Comebacks on 09:17 - Mar 9 with 2846 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Comebacks on 09:14 - Mar 9 by Basuco

The bit I remember about the game was with a few minutes to go, down to ten men, and the score 2 - 2, Sheffield corner and BFJ put three men on the halfway line, one on the each touchline and one in the center. NW was going bonkers to get players back to mark them. It was simple catching practice to catch the ball from the corner even for Andy Marshall. Fantastic day.

3 men up front defending a corner.?????

0 now!!!!
Comebacks on 09:25 - Mar 9 with 2832 viewsSwailsey

Comebacks on 09:17 - Mar 9 by BtreeBlueBlood

0 now!!!!

Was just thinking that!

What a game that was - one of my fondest memories.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Comebacks on 09:26 - Mar 9 with 2825 viewstaximan

Comebacks on 09:25 - Mar 9 by Swailsey

Was just thinking that!

definitely

i was going to add "in recent times", then realised it was 14 years ago !!!!!!
Comebacks on 09:30 - Mar 9 with 2820 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I remember thinking I was going to see one after Armstrong scored the penalty against Toldo.

A couple of minutes after Mark Venus dispossessed Ronaldo (lol) and sent a call up to Naylor which he couldn't control. Squashed any hope I had, but was a great couple of minutes.

Poll: Best Football Song

Login to get fewer ads

Comebacks on 09:37 - Mar 9 with 2801 viewsbournemouthblue

Comebacks on 09:25 - Mar 9 by Swailsey

Was just thinking that!

Agreed, cracking game, cracking atmosphere

Fair play to the PA team who managed to locate Tom Hark and get it playing for the 2nd and 3rd goals :)

We then did it for the next couple of seasons, many other clubs started to copy it as well but I doubt they had such amusing circumstances behind it

Didn't we win something like a 5 - 3 away win at Barnsley having been 2 - 0 down at half time, Jewell was on the verge of being sacked?
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 9:38]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Comebacks on 09:39 - Mar 9 with 2783 viewsBasuco

0 now!!!!

I have never seen it done since that day, bet it isn't discussed in the FA coaching courses on how to defend a corner when down to ten men. But it worked brilliantly on the day. Basically the team came out in the second half and set up with a 3 - 3 - 3 formation and just went for the victory. It was supurb when Darren Ambrose equalised but the place went completely mental when Darren Bent scored that 88th minute winner, I would love to hear from Matt H or Magic what it was like to play in.
Comebacks on 09:41 - Mar 9 with 2770 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Comebacks on 09:37 - Mar 9 by bournemouthblue

Agreed, cracking game, cracking atmosphere

Fair play to the PA team who managed to locate Tom Hark and get it playing for the 2nd and 3rd goals :)

We then did it for the next couple of seasons, many other clubs started to copy it as well but I doubt they had such amusing circumstances behind it

Didn't we win something like a 5 - 3 away win at Barnsley having been 2 - 0 down at half time, Jewell was on the verge of being sacked?
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 9:38]

Yeah, we had lost 7 in a row and it was on SkySports.

If ever you need proof of how big a part confidence has to play in a football team- just compare our first half performance to the second half performance of that Barnsley game.

Poll: Best Football Song

Comebacks on 09:43 - Mar 9 with 2761 viewsSwailsey

Comebacks on 09:26 - Mar 9 by taximan

definitely

i was going to add "in recent times", then realised it was 14 years ago !!!!!!

Mental. I was only 15 at the time!!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Comebacks on 09:46 - Mar 9 with 2758 viewsBasuco

0 now!!!!

Edit: When you consider it was D.Bent, M.Bent and Ambrose on the halfway line they had the pace to hurt defenders so that had to be covered.
I am not sure on the exact number of defenders Warnock pulled back but think it was 5 to mark the 3 spread across the full width of the pitch, that took 8 players out of the box, compare that to the congested 20 or so in the box for the Wolves corner near the end of the game Tuesday.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 9:52]
Comebacks on 09:54 - Mar 9 with 2666 viewsSteve_M

The Barnsley match was on this day 21 years ago! (cf Renegade Statman on Twitter).

This one wasn't quite as good as the Sheffield United one but was bloody close:

And, again, only from two goals down at most but we did equalise four times in this one:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Comebacks on 10:05 - Mar 9 with 2649 viewsSteve_M

Comebacks on 09:39 - Mar 9 by Basuco

I have never seen it done since that day, bet it isn't discussed in the FA coaching courses on how to defend a corner when down to ten men. But it worked brilliantly on the day. Basically the team came out in the second half and set up with a 3 - 3 - 3 formation and just went for the victory. It was supurb when Darren Ambrose equalised but the place went completely mental when Darren Bent scored that 88th minute winner, I would love to hear from Matt H or Magic what it was like to play in.

Marcus Bent in that second half was absolutely unplayable.

The impact of that cup game a few weeks earlier, even though we lost, was clearly in everyone's mind too.

Comebacks on 10:09 - Mar 9 with 2635 viewsIpswichKnight

Comebacks on 09:54 - Mar 9 by Steve_M

The Barnsley match was on this day 21 years ago! (cf Renegade Statman on Twitter).

This one wasn't quite as good as the Sheffield United one but was bloody close:

And, again, only from two goals down at most but we did equalise four times in this one:

Imagine that attacking from the kick off after they equalised for 3-3, now we'd have the strikers off and the ball played along the back line until final whistle!
Comebacks on 10:10 - Mar 9 with 2633 viewsbluewein

Favourite comeback?

"Your Mum..."

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Comebacks on 10:58 - Mar 9 with 2535 viewsRadlett_blue

I'm afraid it reminded my of Town's 2nd leg capitulations to Barcelona & Bruges, both after winning the first leg at home by 3-0.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Comebacks on 11:11 - Mar 9 with 2491 viewskozmik

Comebacks on 10:58 - Mar 9 by Radlett_blue

I'm afraid it reminded my of Town's 2nd leg capitulations to Barcelona & Bruges, both after winning the first leg at home by 3-0.

I was at the Barca away game, and the ref was definitely a homer. (Denied us a perfectly good goal and gave them a dodgy last minute penalty) Wouldn't have a referee doing that today would you? Oh wait........

Supporter since 1965

Comebacks on 11:34 - Mar 9 with 2423 viewsKilburnBlue

The day when the Uhlenbeek flying down the wing chant was created

Graham Taylor's first game back in charge & we were 2-0 down away to Watford. Then Gus Uhlenbeek scores a belter & has an assist in both Mathie's goals.

38 mins in

[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 11:36]

Comebacks on 11:43 - Mar 9 with 2371 viewsRadlett_blue

Comebacks on 11:34 - Mar 9 by KilburnBlue

Graham Taylor's first game back in charge & we were 2-0 down away to Watford. Then Gus Uhlenbeek scores a belter & has an assist in both Mathie's goals.

38 mins in

Yes, Gus started at RB & GB made the obvious (to some) move of switching him with Stockwell, who had started at RM. I also remember Kevin Phillips missing a sitter after we had got back to 2-2.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Comebacks on 11:44 - Mar 9 with 2374 viewsSteve_M

Comebacks on 11:34 - Mar 9 by KilburnBlue

38 mins in

I don't think I've ever seen those before.

A reminder that Burley's sides evolved rather than being fully formed as an excellent footballing side.

I particularly like the two Watford fans sat on their own in banks of empty seats after Mathie's equaliser.

Comebacks on 11:45 - Mar 9 with 2369 viewsKilburnBlue

1991 - First game of the season & we were 3-0 up with 25 minutes to go against Bristol Rovers (A).

Then a young eighteen year old scores on his professional debut & the score ends up 3-3.

That 18 year old was Marcus Stewart

[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 11:48]

Comebacks on 11:49 - Mar 9 with 2337 viewsPinewoodblue

Comebacks on 09:14 - Mar 9 by Basuco

Not something our Mick would do.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Comebacks on 12:28 - Mar 9 with 2248 viewsIpswichKnight

Comebacks on 11:45 - Mar 9 by KilburnBlue

1991 - First game of the season & we were 3-0 up with 25 minutes to go against Bristol Rovers (A).

Then a young eighteen year old scores on his professional debut & the score ends up 3-3.

That 18 year old was Marcus Stewart

[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 11:48]

Remember going to that game as a 15 year old with my Dad. Used to wear the orange kit under my school shirt !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024