Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton sideways move? 18:52 - May 18 with 5464 viewsNedPlimpton

Genuinely very surprised by people thinking that Brighton is a sideways move or wouldn't be appealing

For a big part of this season it looked like they could mount a challenge for a champions league place

They're a well established EPL club who seemingly haven't hit their ceiling yet and are probably up there with Villa as looking the most likely to properly break into the 'Big 6'

Think they're an enticing prospect for any manager on an upwards trajectory. I'm not saying that I think McKenna will go but it if he does stay it won't be because it's a sideways step
Brighton sideways move? on 22:00 - May 18 with 844 viewsReusersTown

Brighton sideways move? on 21:30 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

I think there's another level of clubs that could attract a bigger manager than we could even if they had a bad season or 2 (barring relegation)

The likes of Newcatsle, Villa, West Ham, Brighton for example are all ahead of us in terms of players and managers they'd be able to attract. Which I'd imagine would mean clubs less established, like ourselves, would risk losing players/managers to them if they were to offer enough

Putting Brighton in the same club bracket as those three is absurd and you know it.
Brighton sideways move? on 22:09 - May 18 with 805 viewsKev_W

Brighton sideways move? on 21:39 - May 18 by Mercian

Villa are well ahead of Brighton. There is no player at Brighton at the standard of Watkins, Diaby, Torres or Bailey although Mitoma and Estupian would not be out of place there. Ansu Fati is establishing himself as a failed wonderkid and Ferguson is a great prospect but very raw. Brighton are well ahead of us though. I don't think any of our players would get into their team.
[Post edited 18 May 21:46]

Brighton are that middle group of PL clubs - unlikely to have a sustained challenge to the bigger clubs but good enough to stay clear of the relegation fight. This is the next step up for Town and a bigger step than that taken this season. For an aspiring manager of a newly promoted side it would be a step up but not a huge one.
There are also some less tangible factors that will affect what happens including:
- Ashton and the ownershop group will fight hard to keep him
- ITFC is McKenna's project will he want to leave it unfinished
- he has a degree of control and influence here that he will not have elsewhere
- the bond between this manager and his players is as strong as any I have seen
- leaving a newly promoted club for one of the biggest clubs would be understood but leaving for a club just a step or so ahead isnt a great look reputationally (yes, there is no loyatlty in fo0tball etc etc)
- if things are so great at Brighton why is De Zerbi going - unwiilingess to invest to take a further step?
Brighton sideways move? on 22:10 - May 18 with 794 viewsDinDjarin

Brighton are not bigger than us, in fact I would say we are a far bigger club but they have had success over the last 10 years or so.

Ditto Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth, Palace.

Success with Premiership money does not make you a big club just means you have a massive advantage over everyone not in the Premiership. That will be us in a few years.
Brighton sideways move? on 22:28 - May 18 with 722 viewsMercian

Brighton sideways move? on 22:10 - May 18 by DinDjarin

Brighton are not bigger than us, in fact I would say we are a far bigger club but they have had success over the last 10 years or so.

Ditto Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth, Palace.

Success with Premiership money does not make you a big club just means you have a massive advantage over everyone not in the Premiership. That will be us in a few years.

But they are. Historically no but as of now their club worth far exceeds ours. They have better players, a better stadium, better prospects and are a more attractive club for players to join. With the exception of stadia so are Brentford , Fulham and Palace. If history is the criteria for being a big club Portsmouth and Derby are also bigger than Brighton.
[Post edited 18 May 22:33]
Brighton sideways move? on 22:35 - May 18 with 688 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 22:00 - May 18 by ReusersTown

Putting Brighton in the same club bracket as those three is absurd and you know it.

It's hardly absurd

Just because they haven't got the history of some of the others

They've had 7s consecutive years in the top flight now (longer than villa and came up the same season as Newcastle)

Potentially 3 consecutive top 10 finishes including 6th last season.

They're definitely in a bracket above other PL clubs that would be in a relagation battle
Brighton sideways move? on 22:42 - May 18 with 657 viewsWeWereZombies

Brighton sideways move? on 22:35 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

It's hardly absurd

Just because they haven't got the history of some of the others

They've had 7s consecutive years in the top flight now (longer than villa and came up the same season as Newcastle)

Potentially 3 consecutive top 10 finishes including 6th last season.

They're definitely in a bracket above other PL clubs that would be in a relagation battle

Two good seasons under De Zerbi but he is leaving halfway through his contract, something wrong with that picture in my opinion. If the rumoured lack of ambition in the transfer market is the reason for the manager moving on will that unsettle the players and the backroom staff who stay on ? No guarantees they will not be one of the clubs fighting relegation in 2024/25.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Brighton sideways move? on 23:18 - May 18 with 579 viewsChurchman

Brighton sideways move? on 22:28 - May 18 by Mercian

But they are. Historically no but as of now their club worth far exceeds ours. They have better players, a better stadium, better prospects and are a more attractive club for players to join. With the exception of stadia so are Brentford , Fulham and Palace. If history is the criteria for being a big club Portsmouth and Derby are also bigger than Brighton.

It depends on your definition of bigger. Given who is investing, Wrexham are a much bigger club. Are we planning a 55k new stadium? Nope. Leeds, Sunderland. Bigger clubs - look at their attendances and potential? Would KM run off to there?

It all depends on the measure. This bigging up of Brighton I find a bit odd tbh. Well run, done tremendously but whatever they do they won’t break into the elite clubs any more than Bournfuff, Brentford or Flum will. They’re top of the pile for mid size clubs, along with West Ham and Palace - who McKenna wasn’t interested in.

I guess it’s about potential and whether KM is interested in that. If McKenna decides maintenance man at mid table BHA provides the fastest route to his dream job, off he will go. So be it. But I suspect and hope he’s a bit smarter than that.

Now if Chelsea go after him, he’d be insane not to take it.

We will see.
Brighton sideways move? on 11:20 - May 20 with 402 viewsDinDjarin

Brighton sideways move? on 22:28 - May 18 by Mercian

You didnt read what I posted.

They are not bigger just they have had several years of premiership money and been well run in that time which equals better facilities / players etc.

We are more than capable of doing the same and will surpass them all as on a level playing field we are a bigger club than Brighton period.
Login to get fewer ads

Brighton sideways move? on 11:46 - May 20 with 357 viewsElephantintheRoom

They are also yet to become a US Ponzi scheme and the fan/owner is rich enough to carry their £450 million debt - which suggests they might actually be capable of holding their own in the Prem for a few years yet. Not that it will end well - but for now all seems set fair

Realistically though, given the constant asset- stripping of players and staff they are only a bad signing or two from relegation and meltdown.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Brighton sideways move? on 14:45 - May 20 with 251 viewsChurchman

Brighton sideways move? on 11:46 - May 20 by ElephantintheRoom

They are also yet to become a US Ponzi scheme and the fan/owner is rich enough to carry their £450 million debt - which suggests they might actually be capable of holding their own in the Prem for a few years yet. Not that it will end well - but for now all seems set fair

Realistically though, given the constant asset- stripping of players and staff they are only a bad signing or two from relegation and meltdown.

Good to see you’ve got over my club’s deserved promotion to the Premier League. It must have been absolutely crushing. Two weeks is a decent period of mourning so well done for that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024