Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan 22:56 - May 5 with 2228 viewsBondiBlue

That deal SURELY has a release clause. Surely the release clause can't be that high because he had all the power in that negotiation. 28yo - in his prime, 27 goals this year - confidence sky high, very much a mckenna type. Let's go get him.

Burns, hutchinson, chaplin, sarmiento, broadhead and smodzics rotating for 3 positions behind the striker will do for me.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 23:09 - May 5 with 2140 viewsEuropablue

Doesn't he hate Ipswich?
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 23:43 - May 5 with 2046 viewsNutkins_Return

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 23:09 - May 5 by Europablue

Doesn't he hate Ipswich?

Heard this said a few times but where does it come from?

What an incredible season he's had. He's always scored goals and could definitely do worse. Was really keen on him a few years back. Can he be that player in the prem. And is buying him at the peak of his premium when he's never played in the league the right call?

Personally I think we should be signing too younger talent and where it's experience they should have played the level and proven themselves.
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 00:02 - May 6 with 2005 viewsITFCBlues

I really don't see us spending 15-25m on a soon to be 29 year old that hasn't played premier league football and has had 1 really good season at championship level.

Knowing what we know from our model, it'll be younger players who have potential to improve and have a future value that we will look to spend our money on.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 00:15 - May 6 with 1982 viewsJ2BLUE

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 23:43 - May 5 by Nutkins_Return

What an incredible season he's had. He's always scored goals and could definitely do worse. Was really keen on him a few years back. Can he be that player in the prem. And is buying him at the peak of his premium when he's never played in the league the right call?

Personally I think we should be signing too younger talent and where it's experience they should have played the level and proven themselves.

There's a thing on here about former Colchester players. They either love us and it's their absolute dream to play for us or they hate us.

I think it's mostly people imagining things.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 02:36 - May 6 with 1771 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Had Blackburn dropped out the league during final game Smodzics would most likely have made for the exit and been real hot property but since BRFC lived to fight another day I guess they'll keep him on the roster for another season or at least up until January so there's not much anyone can do for time being regard making enquiries.

He may be a Gerd Muller type this season at BRFC but what's he been like before that with them and there's every chance a player can be a sensation at one club name and fail dismally at another. We've seen it time and again and Smodzics could be no different.

Lath at Middlesbrough is another target to explore. Maybe not as prolific but the player's really made a name for himself since start of year and could be a more feasible acquisition for McKenna. Imagine a three man attack partnership in the EPL with say Broadhead, Moore / Hirst when fit , although the manager would never attempt such a start formation. You can but try.
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 07:21 - May 6 with 1556 viewsBondiBlue

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 23:43 - May 5 by Nutkins_Return

Is there an argument that he's proved himself at the level we've been playing at and therefore we know enough to make the decision on him?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 07:31 - May 6 with 1511 viewsBondiBlue

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 00:02 - May 6 by ITFCBlues

I really don't see us spending 15-25m on a soon to be 29 year old that hasn't played premier league football and has had 1 really good season at championship level.

Knowing what we know from our model, it'll be younger players who have potential to improve and have a future value that we will look to spend our money on.

My point about the release clause was that i don't think it will be that high. When he signed the deal, he was already top scorer in the league and blackburn were on the slide with very public money problems. His agent would have had them over a barrel when they were negotiating.

On our model, i'm not sure that we can draw huge conclusions. We signed morsy and luongo in their thirties. Mckenna is clearly a prudent guy that understands the value of the blend of experience with youth. Focusing on signing only u21s with potential heading into our first season in the prem with a squad we assembled in league one would be madness. The one argument against signing smodzics for me would be that it's not ideal for someone with no prem experience to play there for the first time with a new team. Better to start there in the team you got promoted with. But we've got broadhead and hopefully sarmiento for the LW position and hirst + one other as striker, so we could ease him into the team if he initially struggles.

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:02 - May 6 with 1323 viewsMK1

He is going to cost someone £20M. That isn't going to be us.
Login to get fewer ads

Szmodics signed a new deal in jan on 09:07 - May 6 with 1292 viewsRadlett_blue

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 00:15 - May 6 by J2BLUE

There's a thing on here about former Colchester players. They either love us and it's their absolute dream to play for us or they hate us.

Szmodics was born in Colchester & spent 6 years at the club so he would have been well aware of their fan base's dislike of Ipswich. He certainly seemed to enjoy himself when scoring a brace for Posh at PR. I think we were linked with signing him several years ago & he made some throw-away comment about not wanting to sign for Ipswich.
[Post edited 6 May 9:17]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:11 - May 6 with 1263 viewsfooters

Not our profile, too expensive, no upside.

Not for me, sausage.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:26 - May 6 with 1190 viewsNutkins_Return

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 07:21 - May 6 by BondiBlue

Is there an argument that he's proved himself at the level we've been playing at and therefore we know enough to make the decision on him?

Yes and argument but in my opinion I would fall on the side of no to signing him.

At 29 and having to pay an extreme premium for him at this point I don't think he makes sense as the best option. His value will fall due to age and it's unlikely he will have another season like it to be honest. It was his Daryll Murphy season. Both good players. If he was 24 and £10 million you would look at him. 29 and probably north of £15. No.
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:44 - May 6 with 1120 viewsPhilTWTD

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:11 - May 6 by footers

Not for me, sausage.

We've been interested in him previously, I know that. Think he'll end up in the Premier League this season whether it's with us or someone else.
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:52 - May 6 with 1078 viewsfooters

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:44 - May 6 by PhilTWTD

We've been interested in him previously, I know that. Think he'll end up in the Premier League this season whether it's with us or someone else.

Aye, and a few years ago I'd have taken him.

Any club willing to pay 20m for him are more than welcome to him.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 10:29 - May 6 with 947 viewsBondiBlue

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:52 - May 6 by footers

Aye, and a few years ago I'd have taken him.

Any club willing to pay 20m for him are more than welcome to him.

I think it will be closer to 10. Unless his agent is completely clueless and has signed off on a contract with a release clause that no-one will be willing to pay.

Also, looking at how blackburn stuffed around with sam gallagher, if i was smodzics agent i'd be extra careful to make sure my client can pretty much leave whenever he wants to.

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 14:23 - May 6 with 742 viewsWakh

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 00:15 - May 6 by J2BLUE

No. He mocked us on social media when playing for Posh. Can’t remember the context now. However many mocked us under Evan’s.
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 15:26 - May 6 with 656 viewstcblue

We can (and will) do better
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 16:36 - May 6 with 568 viewsSharkey

He signed a new deal with Colchester just a week or so before Ashton whisked him away to Bristol C., to make sure that Colchester got a fair deal from his transfer.

As for this ‘hate’ stuff ( or conversely that he was once a Town fan) there’s a YouTube video from Posh tv after he scored at Portman Road which suggests he’s not that either. Interviewer says ‘must be GREAT to score against Ipswich’ and Smodiczs plays it down and simply says he enjoyed playing at the ground for the first time, having visited a couple of times as a spectator. Some of the ‘hates Ipswich’ stuff probably comes from playing along for his old school-pals who were/are of the ‘when I was just a little boy, (que sera sera tune) U’s fan variety . smodiczs himself is a West Ham fan., and bought a season ticket when he played for Pboro, figuring that WH would be playing a lot of Sundays as they were in Europe on Thursdays.

Loved his celebrating before he scored against Leicester on Saturday, and I’m so hoping he makes it to the PL now. He’s said he hopes to be back in Colchester colours one day.
Szmodics signed a new deal in jan on 17:00 - May 6 with 509 viewsSharkey

Szmodics signed a new deal in jan on 09:07 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

Szmodics was born in Colchester & spent 6 years at the club so he would have been well aware of their fan base's dislike of Ipswich. He certainly seemed to enjoy himself when scoring a brace for Posh at PR. I think we were linked with signing him several years ago & he made some throw-away comment about not wanting to sign for Ipswich.
[Post edited 6 May 9:17]

He spent a lot longer than that at the club as he joined when he was six.

(I think I’m right in saying (and I stand to be corrected) that Cameron Humphreys also started with the U’s at that age. Whether Szmodics ever thought about switching in his youth I don’t know.)
Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 17:24 - May 6 with 449 viewsWickets

Smodzics signed a new deal in jan on 09:11 - May 6 by footers

Not for me, sausage.

But the point rightly or wrongly made by the OP is he could well have a realise clause well less of that and jf so might be worth consideration .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024